Get your hands dirty and learn to build your own wooden projects
Age Group: 16+
About the workshop
Woodworking is the art of converting any piece of wood to build everyday items. Understanding characteristics of different types of wood and how to select the right wood for your project. Important techniques of using the tools to make your project look the way you visualized it , while conscientiously adhering to safety protocols. Last but definitely not the least, teaching tips and tricks which can drastically change the outcome of your project.
P.S.: Moira, Goa is known for its generations of woodworking artisans, and now has been a shelter for Makers Asylum.
What do we Offer?
Duration: 2 days
An introductory course to understand fundamental practices involved in woodworking such as:
– Identifying different types of wood.
– Working with hand tools and power tools.
– Essential Safety Protocols.
- Learn How to identify types of wood.
- Introduction to hand tools (Hand saws, chisels, files, etc.)
- Introduction to power tools.
- Circular Blade Saw
- Router Machine
- Drill Machine
- Power Sanders
- In- depth knowledge to these machines regarding the right use, safety guidelines while using them and hacks
- How to design and execute your own ideas of wood work.
- Hands-on practice with tools to build your project, which could be anything.
- Some examples of previous builds were work desk organizer, chopping board, pot stand, etc.
- Laser Etching your own design on your project
- 20% discount on all Drill Press Cafe Menu Items
- Access to wood lab to complete your project through the week post workshop
- Access to the facilities at the space*
Duration: 6 days
-A deep dive covering fundamental practices: Identifying different types of wood, Working with hand tools and power tools, Essential Safety Protocols, Feasibility of Design.
-Experience of visiting local sawmills to understand: Procurement criteria based on project requirement, Qualities of wood, Varieties of wood, Witnessing large scale practices, Interactions with commercial wood workers.
-Projects based on: Hand tools, Power tools, Heavy machinery.
- Learn about wood and the different types of wood
- Understanding procurement
- Hands on with Hand Tools
- Cutting Saws and its types
- Hand Planers
- Build a classic game board with just the hand tools.
- Learning About Power Tools and getting hands on practice with
- Circular Saw
- Drill machine
- Router Machine
- Sanding Machine
- Electric Planar
- Building a simple project (a hammer, a work desk organizer, a chess board, etc.) with what you learnt
- Understanding the design aspect and exploring YOUR designs that you had in mind
- *Design Meet: Listening to the local artists and experts in the field
- Field Trip
- Saw Mill (Procurement of the material)
- Getting your blocks and get it cut
- Visit to a local carpenter to get some inspiration about designs and machinery possibilities.
- An exposure to CNC and more
- Learn about some more heavy machineries
- Miter Saw
- Drill Press Machines
- Table Saw
- Chop Saw
- Angle grinder
- Shaper Machine (Our very own CNC machine). You are gonna love this one!
- Building a project.
- A quick Introduction to Dremel
- Learning Outcomes
- Celebrate your making
- Material for the initial couple of days for your learning and execution of your project
- ₹ 1000 Coupon to buy the wood for your own designs and projects.
- 6 Day Stay inclusive
- Program facilitation and supervision
- Access to the lab, tools and experts in the field
- Access to the treasure boxes. If you can find anything that is of use for you, you can have it
- Curation of evening socials
- 20% off on all food and beverages at Drill Press Cafe
About the Instructor